Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Waiting

   We do a lot of waiting.  Waiting on MRI's, waiting on meds, waiting on doctors.  Hell we even wait to get on the elevator an abnormally long amount of time around these places.  Waiting does a lot of things for me, and really mad isn't one of them.  I stopped getting mad in waiting rooms when I saw this one lady pitch a fit that was totally uncalled for.  Right then I figured it was best for us to just put on a smile and deal with whatever comes.
   You get to do a lot of people watching, which has become a past time of mine it seems.  I see a lot of people pick their noses, but I'm used to that teaching 2nd grade.  Mostly people are glued to their screens, so I sit a lot of time making up in my mind what they are looking at.  I can't stand looking at my phone or something for more than 10 minutes in a waiting room, I don't see how people do it.
   Fish tanks have been my recent calming method.  I could sit and look at their big saltwater tanks all day.  I don't know what is better, watching the fish or watching the kids come up to the glass and the looks on their faces.  But don't tap on the glass kid, they don't like that shit, didn't you see Nemo?
   I'll tell you though.  Sitting in waiting rooms around here, you meet some pretty interesting people if you aren't staring at your phone.  Today I met one of the private welders for the owner or Bass Pro shops in Missouri.  He built the handrails in the one in Pigeon Forge, so you could say he's pretty important.  The other day in the fitness room I met a Dad that St. Jude's is his son's last hope.  He's been in hospitals for 18 months solid.  Hell I thought in and out for 2 years was rough, that guy looked about 55 and he was 32.  
   All I really say is when you are sitting in a waiting room, just take a minute and don't get upset.  I could get real pissed most of the time, but what is that going to help?  I only write this one because I look at what goes on around me and I don't want to forget the people that are waiting with me.  They are part of my journey.  To the Dad waiting 6 hrs for renal scans, to the mom passed out with her son in her arms, to the guy that's going to be his son's stem cell donor, I'm right there with you and I appreciate you waiting patiently with me.

2 comments:

  1. Your words are gripping & through your candor, you provide great pause in this difficult world. Thank you for sharing in a way that I hope offers you an acceptable outlet as you deal with that which is so unfair.

    ReplyDelete