Saturday, May 21, 2016

I Can't Protect Her From This

  I can first and foremost only say Thank you for all the words of encouragement, the prayers, the thoughts, the calls and texts, and most recently changing your profile pics to #purpleforSweetP.  For all that I could never repay all of you, but I can promise you I'll be there for you, whatever the reason.
 
   Most of the texts and calls include something like "I have no words" or "I can't imagine".  Truthfully, I don't want you to ever imagine a hell like this or even fathom words in your head about this situation.  I'm living it and the words run through my head 24 hours a day; you don't want any part of this.  You don't want this in your life.  I'm sure seeing our situation from your seat right there is bad enough.  Hopefully the research that comes from Penelope's cancer will keep some other Dad from sitting in this chair feeling this pain.
   I can't put into exact words the feeling I had Friday afternoon.  We sat there in that room with Dr. Dave and Dr. Armstrong and listened to their diagnosis, but I might as well been on freaking Mars.  I was there but all I could do is look at Penelope in a way that I never have.  This sickness isn't going away. As I watched the words "I can't cure this" roll out of his mouth, it took a part of my soul as it went in one ear and out the other.  I heard him say it, but my brain was like Dikembe Mutombo in those commercials, "No, No, No....Not Today." I had to keep my composure to talk to him about our side and our thoughts, but inside I was done.  I felt a bead of sweat roll down the side of my face as he talked about the MRI.  I felt every single skin cell it touched hoping this wasn't some sort of hot flash that I was going to be drenched in. I felt my stomach turn and churn like that taffy machine in Gatlinburg that just pulls and turns, pulls and turns.  My eyes were focused on the computer screen, but I was looking hours, days, and weeks ahead.  I saw the tumors, but I saw our future too.  I started breathing heavier and slower, or was it faster and lighter? Hell it was probably both.  All these feelings I just described hit me in about 45 seconds.  I had to get my shit together though and the Man inside of me said "Quit being a bitch and get this done."  It was my turn to talk and I felt like nothing wanted to come out.  Again something inside of me kicked in and I said my spill.  We made a decision and we felt good about it.  It all seemed so fast.  He is an amazing man and I don't think I could have handled it as well if it weren't for him, but that room in the back hall of E clinic has a part of me in it and always will.  
   A father is supposed to protect his daughter and I can't do that.  I have not failed at it, I just can't.  Feeling helpless is what hurts the most.  I can give her pain meds.  I can keep her comfortable. I can whisper I love you in her ear all day.  (Believe me, I do all those around the clock.)  But I can't keep this cancer from growing and spreading until one day it takes over.  I can't protect my little girl and that breaks my heart every time I look at her.  I am used to being in control, and not having that control puts me in a mild panic attack about 47 times a day.  Every time she cries I know it is a pain that I can't do anything about.  Every time we move P she cries. Every time I go to pick her up, it hurts her.  You can't imagine the pain I have knowing just giving my little girl a hug makes her cry.
   I can now process all this, and through writing I can at least get it out of my head so I can fill it up again with more questions and concerns.  I'm starting to do better though.  Even in 24 hours my mind has started to be less sad and fill those voids with memories and the happy times.  If I'm sad all the time, we will miss something.  I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I missed something, so screw being sad 24/7.  My little girl needs me during those times.  She can't have a sad Dad.  She needs a Daddy that will take care of her and protect her as much as he can.  That I'll do.
 

14 comments:

  1. Andy, although your words are personal, I hope they will be shared with other fathers as you're sharing them with us. They will be a comfort to those who are feeling the same helplessness. Thank you for being an example of strength and love. Prayers continue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Andy, I sit here crying, just thinking about the unthinkable. Your blog is raw and poignant and so very personal. I am sure it is helping many others even now as they face their own hells, and I am sure it will be an inspriation for multitudes in the future.

    Penelope doesn't deserve this. Ellen and you don't deserve this. Nobody deserves to go through this. But Penelope is so blessed to have parents and grandparents who are there for her every second of every day. While she doesn't understand all that's going on, she absolutely understands the security of your endless love for her, and she will always take comfort in that.
    May God bless and be with all of you on this journey. We carry you in our prayers and in our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Andy, I sit here crying, just thinking about the unthinkable. Your blog is raw and poignant and so very personal. I am sure it is helping many others even now as they face their own hells, and I am sure it will be an inspriation for multitudes in the future.

    Penelope doesn't deserve this. Ellen and you don't deserve this. Nobody deserves to go through this. But Penelope is so blessed to have parents and grandparents who are there for her every second of every day. While she doesn't understand all that's going on, she absolutely understands the security of your endless love for her, and she will always take comfort in that.
    May God bless and be with all of you on this journey. We carry you in our prayers and in our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray for God's comfort for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for P's pain, and the pain you and your Family have been, and are still experiencing. God is still in control. May he shower His Love and Grace with you now, and may comfort be felt by knowing all those around you are praying and lifting your Family. Love and Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for P's pain, and the pain you and your Family have been, and are still experiencing. God is still in control. May he shower His Love and Grace with you now, and may comfort be felt by knowing all those around you are praying and lifting your Family. Love and Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy, you all don't know me, I'm a Jeremy supporter. Have you all ever heard of the The Burzinski Institute in Houston, TX? Stanislaw Burzinski found a way years ago to reprogram cancer cells by removing a few and then programming them to eat themselves and the put them back in the body. I know that our government tried to keep this from happening and attempted to shut him down. He had the largest success from brain cancers in children. Here's a link in case you want to know more about him. My prayers are with you and your family. Della Jones

    www.burzinskiclinic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry. the correct spelling is Stanislaw Burzynski and the clinic is found at:

    www.burzynskiclinic.com

    Della

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a parent I sat and read this and shed some tears. I pray for your family and my heart breaks for Little P and you both. May God bless your family!
    Jennifer Rader & Bailey Rader

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a parent I sat and read this and shed some tears. I pray for your family and my heart breaks for Little P and you both. May God bless your family!
    Jennifer Rader & Bailey Rader

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a parent I sat and read this and shed some tears. I pray for your family and my heart breaks for Little P and you both. May God bless your family!
    Jennifer Rader & Bailey Rader

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a parent I sat and read this and shed some tears. I pray for your family and my heart breaks for Little P and you both. May God bless your family!
    Jennifer Rader & Bailey Rader

    ReplyDelete
  13. I m never at a loss for words but I still can t find the right ones and I m no stranger to grief ....so ,still,I love you guys

    ReplyDelete