Monday, May 23, 2016

Angels

   I teach for a living so I see kids do some pretty incredible things.  Usually I stick to the funny stuff like my 2nd grade -isms I post on Facebook.  Every now and then you see a kid in school do something that really touches your heart.  Every now and then you see some little shit do something that makes you want to smack them.  I don't care about the corporal punishment issue, but a good smack to the back of the head wouldn't hurt every now and then.  Anyways, kids can show you some pretty amazing things if you would look up from that screen and pay attention.  There is still good in this world, and as far as the last week goes, I've seen a lot of angels in the midst of all this.  These kids here are walking angels.  They might not have wings, be glowing, and floating above us as we usually think.  Instead they come with shaved heads, disabilities, wheelchairs, IV pumps, and masks on.  They all have one thing in common.  Their souls shine through brighter than anything I've ever seen.
   These kids see no disabilities.  They see nothing but another kid.  I see a wheelchair, they see a place they need to pull a chair up to to sit next to them.  I see a partly shaved head with a scar from brain surgery.  They see that and compare theirs.  I see a mask.  They see a chance to look like Batman and wave at the kid next to them wearing the same one.  They don't give two craps about what is going on.  All they see is another kid going through what they are.  It is the most unreal sight I have ever seen.  The most awkward situation I have seen is where two kids just stared at each other because they didn't speak the same language.  They looked at each other weird then just pointed to the game they wanted to play and started to play; the language didn't matter. These two boys were just happy to have someone to play with.
   The one example that sticks out in my mind is a boy the other day walked in real slow, couldn't move his neck.  Made me think of one of my "father figures" Mike who can't move his neck like that either. (This kid might be stronger than him haha).  This boy about 12 had a bigger body but his head was much smaller and you could tell he had major surgeries on it from the scars and such.  I only describe him because of what happened next.  A little boy, probably 5, came skipping in the clinic all fast like most kids do.  He got about 3 feet from this other boy who was struggling sitting down on his own.  Instead of staring at him or watching like most young kids do, he waves at him and says Hey! and stops to sit next to him and play while he waits on his Mom to check them in.  He saw no disability.  He saw somebody that he wanted to talk to and looked nice to sit next to.
   These kids have changed the way I look at all this just by being children.  They know the evil of this world, they are freaking living it, but they continue to do good.  They don't judge, they say Hey!  They don't walk the other way, they walk up to them.  They don't stare, they talk.  They don't scoot over hoping they don't sit next to them, they make room so they can.  Now which one sounds like adults and which one sounds like what should be happening?
  These kids don't want pity, they want somebody to play with.  One day I'll read this and smile about all these little angels with their shaved heads, wheelchairs, and surgery scars.  Most of them don't even get to go to school, but they have been teachers this whole time.  Souls aren't disabled.  Souls are forever free and just waiting for someone to say Hey!  They only become disabled when you treat them that way.

1 comment: