Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Beginning

   Monday May 2nd is a day I will never forget.  I went home that night before to get some rest and go to work.  As good as it sounds to get a good night’s rest, I hate every second of being away from my little girl and Ellen that are in the hospital, but that’s for another talk.  I knew we were going to get some kind of news that day, but I never expected someone to tell us it was a highly aggressive cancer.  That thought never entered my mind.
  Ellen called me from the hospital and as soon as I heard her start talking my world stopped.  I went to another room in school to be alone, but it wouldn’t have mattered if I was in Times Square; everything stopped, everything went silent.  I literally spent the next couple minutes after hanging up the phone standing there numb.  I couldn’t cry, I couldn’t think, I couldn’t even process it all.  I went from sad to mad and 400 emotions in between in the time it took me to tell Dale and my team that I had to go and get to my girls.

  I’m only going to write about this journey because I have a hard time getting it all out.  There’s only a handful of people that understand to a degree what this life inside my head is like.  I’m going to cuss, I’m probably crying while I write some of this.  I’ll probably say things that people don’t agree with, things you won’t understand, but truthfully, I could care less.  Penelope always tells me how it is, so I figure I can too.

1 comment: