Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Big guy in a Little Chair (Sing it like Farley)

1 am. Sitting next to a hospital crib in a chair that is made for someone half my size. Ellen is trying to get some sleep, but Little Bit has other plans.  She’s a tough one, but she doesn’t handle the pain of surgery real well.  So that means Dad gets to sit here, watch the final season of Dexter, and think about random stuff.
   I hate fake people.  I love seeing the smiles on a kid’s face when they make me a drawing or picture for P.  I can’t stand listening to people talk about college football and the players making bad decisions.  All they do is criticize them, but they have no idea what they go through daily.  I really wish I got to learn more from Jason Horne, but he still teaches me whether he knows it or not.  I think Burritos or wraps are the best form of lunch.  I take 2 scoops of pre-workout, but I know my heart probably hates me when I do.  I wish I was sitting in the back yard watching Tink smell the grass for the scent of cats and deer.  I miss eating breakfast with my Pop every Saturday. 
  These are the random things that go through my mind at 1am in a tiny chair.
   I understand people have issues, especially if I meet you in a hospital.  But do you have to be so damn rude? It blows my mind how incredibly insensitive other people are when in public. The cafeteria is like the watering hole of the Serengeti.  Why can’t we just be nice and smile to each other.  You are going to get your dang double heart attack patty with extra cheese, but just be nice about it.
   Entitled youth.  I’m probably going to write a 2 pager on this one later, but it gets harder and harder to bite my tongue.  I don’t look any farther than the parents, or the lack thereof, to see why that little shit is the way they are.  It’s getting bad in the world and I don’t think it is going to get better.
   Why do people look down on Janitors? Don’t act like you never have.  I won’t lie, I used to avoid a janitor or not say much to them, but I changed that at Mars Hill.  I have had some of the best conversations with janitors whether they be at school, hospitals, or anywhere really.  They see and hear everything, just remember that.
   I love beer and I can’t stand people that judge others who drink in public.  If I want to have a beer with my friends at 5pm at the General Morgan I’m going to do it.  So what if I teach your kid, they might be the reason I’m having that beer.  I have never once in my life let my extracurricular activities effect anything in my life.  I graduated at the top of my class in high school, college, and for my Masters degree.  I also put some microbrewers kid through college probably.  Don’t judge me differently because I like to have a beer or 6 every now and then.
   I can’t stand people who chew with their mouths open.  Maybe that is the teacher in me, but it irks me.

   I have a hard time shutting my brain down at night.  All I want to do is heal Penelope.  All I want to do is take her pain away.  Since I can’t, I fill my brain with some random stuff to keep me thinking and keep me busy.

1 comment:

  1. After almost losing a child, I have the tiniest, most miniscule glimpse of your daily pain, concern and heartache for your little one. The hospital is like the best worst place you can be. I'm sitting here at 3 am reading your blog and my heart hurts immeasurably for your family. I cannot stop reading and the more I read, the better understanding I'll have of what you endure on a daily basis. When I make comments on your fb post, it is void of that knowledge but filled with love and a desire for life to be better for all of you. From now on, I'll shut my mouth...and my keyboard...and just read.

    ReplyDelete