Monday, May 9, 2016

There's no crying in baseball

   I cannot stand crying in front of people.  It almost pisses me off when I do it.  I have my moments and it comes out sometimes, but that is rare.
   I don’t even like crying in general.  It messes up my contacts or makes my glasses fog for one.  That is just the first thing that makes me upset about crying.
   Ellen is the only person that I think I can even cry in front of and not feel weird about it.  I feel weird crying to my Mom even.  It has nothing to do with not feeling comfortable or feeling like I can’t, but that’s just me.  I’m sure there is some deep seeded “thing” inside of me that a therapist with an uncomfortable couch could elaborate on, but I’m not at that point yet.
   I don’t cry when we lose a game. I don’t cry at the end of a season. I think that is just weird.  If you lost a game, you obviously didn't do something well enough.  When the season is over, I’m just happy I got to be a part of it and yeah it sucks it’s over but the sun is still going to come out in the morning.
   I cried when Chase died and I cried when Michael passed.  Those were the first times I felt helpless, but I had forgotten what that felt like. I don’t cry a whole lot when bad stuff happens to me. When it comes to my daughter though, there’s a different type of cry that happens and it only happens with her.  That feeling about makes me sick to my stomach and I just get mad again.  When I get news about P, I always make sure I’m somewhere alone because I can’t hold it back.  It never fails, I cry.  Most of the time I don’t let Ellen see me cry, but then there’s times I send her the “Cried all the way home, FML” text which is code for I got home and am Ok now.
For me my crying spot is in the bathroom.  I think it is because I can look in the mirror about halfway through and tell myself to quit being a pansy and get it together.  My lifting partner right before he’s about to do something heavy says, “alright you big baby let’s go.” I don’t know if he means to say it, but it’s a mild version of what I tell myself when I’m crying and I always think of those moments (random I know).  I know it is good to cry, but sweet Lord it sucks.  I like to cuss a lot when I get done crying.  Maybe that is my way of cleansing everything.  I’m just glad nobody hears me.  I mean I say some messed up stuff.  I think I have made up a few new ones that would make Bobby Knight proud, but Coach B disappointed at the same time.  
   It’s almost like crying is just a precursor to me getting mad as hell.  I don’t know if other people get that way, but I don’t know any other way.

   I've cried more in the past week than I have in my entire life I think.  I don’t think crying is a sign of weakness or any crap like that; I just don’t like it.  Maybe one day I'll think differently about it.  As for now, I'll just stick to crying in the bathroom, cussing the mirror, and walking back out like nothing is wrong.

1 comment: