Sunday, December 4, 2016

How are you?

“How are you?” is probably one of the worst questions there is.  For one I’m going to answer with “I’m fine” and smile, which are both a lie.  The second thing is you really don’t want to hear the real answer.  Before I begin with the real answer though, I truthfully appreciate the people that ask “How are you?” and genuinely care.  It really does help for that split second to lift my spirits, but sorry I must lie to your face.  

So here’s the truth:

I’m not fine, I’m the exact opposite of fine.  I start my day usually crying for a few minutes because I have to walk by pictures and an urn instead of a snoring and drooling little girl.  I don’t want to get out of bed to pee much less go through another day.  The last thing I want to do is interact with people and have conversations.  I don’t want to watch that kid suffer in class when I know their parents could give a crap about what they do.  I don’t even like working out any more, but I have to because with depression comes eating and I’d weigh 400 pounds if I didn’t.  I don’t like picking up the phone when my friends call and usually stare at the screen until it goes to voicemail.  I get mad at stuff around the house that doesn’t even matter.  I make my wife, the one person I can’t go without, cry and not like me with stupid decisions and comments.  I spent 2 hours of Thanksgiving laying in bed staring at Penelope’s Bunny because I couldn’t handle being around people and faking it anymore.  I smile, laugh, and joke around while inside I’m trying not to throw up and holding back tears because something I’m doing is probably reminding me of P and I’m hoping that I can leave to go sit on the couch as soon as possible and hold her boppy.  I look like I’m holding it together, but there’s the truth, I'm not.


I don’t want extra calls or texts, I probably won’t pick it up any way.  I am depressed but I have to learn how to deal with it my way.  I don’t want to leave my house, but I do.  I have an obligation to my kids to give them a great day and I will do that, no matter what’s wrong with me.  So for those of you that I do encounter during the day, I appreciate you and yeah, “I’m fine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment