Friday, December 23, 2016

Nothing more was needed...

I’m writing this one more for me, but maybe you’ll get something out of it.  I have a special kind of relationship with my grandmother.  Mainly because she’s cool as anybody I know, or maybe it’s because I’m her favorite.
Tonight will forever go down as a moment I’ll never forget.  Some know my grandmother Brit, some have heard the legends, some have heard me tell stories about her, and I promise whatever you have heard are all true.  In her 97 years, she has gained a lot of knowledge that I’ve tried to soak in over the years.  No matter what you do though, she will always have a comment on it or tell you that you could have done it just a little different.  If I’m 97, you best believe I’m going to tell you that you are an idiot and should have done it completely different.
Sitting in her chair, looking at me from across the table, she took a deep breath and said, “I don’t have to worry now, I think you’ve got it down pat.”  It didn’t need more sage, it didn’t need another cup of chicken stock and butter.  It didn’t need more celery or onions.  It was right.  The dressing was right and it couldn’t have been better in her eyes.  Dressing seems like a trivial thing, but it is something that I have worked at doing well in her eyes.  I finally did something of hers completely right; nothing more was needed.
The only thing I needed more of tonight was time with her.  I’ve spent countless hours in that house through the years and I realized tonight I hadn’t always been listening.  I learned with Penelope that you must live in the moment.  I learned tonight that you must listen in the moment as well.  I listened to how she’s been solving the Cryptquip but can’t do Soduko.  I listened to her criticize Vanna White’s hairdo and how she’d spend the $50 million Powerball if she won.  We laughed, we talked about things going on, and just had some good times together.  I hung on every word tonight for some reason.  I couldn’t think of anything better.

I hope that whatever you get to listen to this holiday weekend that you soak in and are 100% in the moment.  Those stories you’ve heard 100 times will one day be gone.  The people sitting there won’t always be there.  You’ve heard it 1,000 times I know, but did you really listen?  

3 comments:

  1. You are wise beyond your years. Most of us don't realize until they are gone. Thanks, my friend. May you have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wise beyond your years. Most of us don't realize until they are gone. Thanks, my friend. May you have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete