Thursday, December 8, 2016

Deep in the Timeline

June 9th wasn't that long ago.  It seems like forever because every day I wake up in the same hell as the day before.  I made sure that during those last times I lived in the moment.  I soaked up every single second that I could because I knew those seconds wouldn't last forever.  I was wrong.  I relive those seconds every single day at some point.  I can tell you every single thing that happened from the time I got the call from Ellen to the second I felt all the breath leave her body onto my neck for the last time.  The problem with all that is I’m not living in the moment now.  I’m not even close to that and it took 3 minutes of scrolling through Darren Reese’s pictures to make me realize that.
            If you don’t know Darren Reese, then you are missing out.  The stories he tells through his pictures are pretty much unbelievable and his appreciation for a good beer is on the same level as mine.  Long story short, I saw a picture I forgot about this morning and went scrolling through his timeline to find the original.  Let’s just say that took a while.  In the process I noticed pictures of things I was a part of that I had never seen before.  I forgot about football games, accomplishments, current events, and so much more.  Timelines since June are almost nonexistent because I play the same one in my head over and over.  I've missed out on so much more and cheated myself because I’m depressed and anxious about making it through the next hour and not living in that hour.
            It isn’t going to change any time soon, but damn, it about brought me to tears.  I had no idea what some of those pictures were, and I was probably no more than 50 feet away from them in the background somewhere.  Depression makes you live in the background.  It takes away what is in front of you and although you can mask it with a fake smile and “I’m fine”, it doesn't change the fact that I won’t remember this moment because I’m replaying the time Penelope held my hand all the way from Florida a few days before she passed away. 

            Live in the moment.  Don’t be in the background.  It’s a dark place that doesn't look the same for everyone.  My background is in the middle of 1,000 people and a touchdown that I can’t even remember.  They say you live and you learn.  I say you need to learn while you live or it isn't living at all.

1 comment: