Tuesday, February 6, 2018

You Never Know...


     Going through the Pal’s drive-thru, they hand me my Peach Dr. Enuf and as I’m rolling up my window, a girl working in there says to me, “I love your book, it is awesome!”  I have no idea who she was, but she made my day.  Not two minutes before that I was looking at my Facebook memories, on the verge of tears, seeing a pic of me and my sweet girl.  Instead of going down that rabbit hole of sadness and anger, that one statement made me smile and changed my whole drive home.
     My heart breaks for a family in our town that just lost their little boy from complications of a car accident.  Even though our situations are a little different, I know exactly what they are going through.  I know everything that is racing through their head and there isn’t anything you can do about it.  I know all their hopes and dreams for their little one came to a complete stop; and all those opportunities they were looking to are now over.  I wish I could tell them it gets easier, but you learn to take all those memories and make them last a lifetime, and that’s all I’ve really got.
     There isn’t some miracle saying or action that will help, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try.  One thing I’ve noticed through our journey in this, you remember all the ones that tried and all the ones that didn’t.  You sit back sometimes and remember little things like a card, a Facebook message, a text, or even that friend that brought some food on a random Tuesday just because.  It isn’t about knowing what to say or do, it’s just about the doing.
     We should all try to be there for people every chance we can.  You can’t go through something like this alone.  I know, I tried and failed miserably.  The fact is you don’t know what anybody is going through and you might be the person to help them through it.  But first we have to get our head up off the screen in front of us and do it.  I’m not saying I’m overly nice to everyone I meet or I agree with everything that goes on, but I try not to be a total jackass or sad person all the time either.  Whatever it is you do, I just encourage you to do it, not just think about it.  Write that letter, give your best friend a hug or smack on the butt, or text that person you used to be close with.  You never know.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, and you're right, you never know what journey another person is on, but always try to be a positive part of it.

    ReplyDelete