Thursday, June 16, 2016

Two Headed Monster

     Grief and anxiety are a two headed asshole.  Just when you thought you beat one, the other one smacks the crap out of you from behind and starts the process all over.  Today was a rough day, I won’t lie, it was like getting hit repeatedly with a bag of hammers.  Slightly worse than hanging out with a bored 6 yr old.  I think today I perfected my fake smile; or maybe I just had this awkward look on my face in public.  Let’s take a ride in the day of a “Strong Dad” who is at the end of his rope and how you aren’t going to fix it.  Think about it like the youtube video of the kid who is on that stupid slingshot ride in Pigeon Forge and his seatbelt isn’t all the way fastened.
     Start the day with a good cry that you can’t hold back.  You try to at least make it through putting your contacts in but it falls in the sink and you know your day is going to be shit and trust me it doesn’t get better.  Start crying again once you walk in the lonely living room that used to start your day with a kiss and an I love you.  Now it is silent and a depressed cat just lays there looking at you.  **At this moment you probably think, I wish I could just hug him.  No, I have morning dragon breath, I’ve already been crying, and I haven’t had coffee.  Not a good time.**
     The next 2 hours are a blur.  No TV, I couldn’t tell you what I was looking at on Facebook or Twitter, so I resort to watching videos of P which just make the situation of the day 100 times worse.  Cry #4 at this point.  **Don’t think some uplifting Facebook status is going to help.  99% of those quote things are stupid and not even correct, I’m a nerd, I’ve checked it before.**
     Now you would think that your buddy coming over to hang out is a good thing, and for the most part is.  In times like this people don’t need to be alone, just FYI.  Then again that’s all I wanted.  Enter head 2 of the monster: anxiety.  I love my buddy to death, about as much as a grown man can love another grown man, and it had nothing to do with him, you could have inserted anyone here.  My mind starts racing, I can’t think straight, and I’m worried he’s going to ask how am I.  Well then he actually walks in.  Friends are good to have, and in my situation I have some dang good ones, but I still can barely sit still and talk to them, it just isn’t in me.  **Insert you wanting to come over and hang out to make me feel better.  Truthfully, it is a good thing.  For me, today it would have put me over the edge and I probably would have hid upstairs hoping you would leave.**
     Going in public today was even worse.  I was glad to see two people who gave Penelope a prayer quilt and I could thank them.  That felt good.  Then grief comes back and I never got to bring P there.  Then anxiety smacks me in the back of the head when I realize I’m so anxious I don’t want to sit there anymore.  I have my wife and one of my best friends there and I want to run out when they aren’t looking, for real. 
     Spent the rest of the afternoon by myself.  Glad to be alone, but interchange that monster every 30 minutes and staring at P’s urn just talking to her.  When I start answering myself then I’ll worry.  **thinking to yourself, I probably should have texted him today, etc.  I would hit you with the I’m fine, thanks for asking and go back to my little day of horror.**
     The part that sucks is today I couldn’t be there for Ellen.  This grief process will not break us, but just like today it will bend us to a point we yell and sit in different rooms.  Not because we love each other less, but everybody grieves differently.  You have to accept that and just ride it out.  Tomorrow might be different, who knows.  I could throw some cliché in there about take it day by day and all that, but that’s not what I’m dealing with.  I’m dealing with a loss that I’ll have forever.  This loss is something that took part of my soul with it and I have to figure out myself how to get it back.  A grieving Dad doesn’t want pills to make him sleep, he doesn’t want to talk to somebody on a couch about how much life sucks.  He doesn’t want to go for rides or even walk outside really.  I don’t want to look at my wife crying and have nothing.  I don’t want to snap because the water hose keeps kinking up and blow my lid outside yelling at a piece of rubber.  I don’t want to numb all these emotions because if I don’t deal with it I won’t make it. 

     Life would be better if I had something to make me sleep.  I probably need a 3rd party to listen to this buzz saw in my head and help out.  I need my friends to keep showing up just to talk and make me workout.  I need random text messages and stupid animal videos.  I need to get in the Jeep and just drive with my wife.  I probably should get a new water hose reel.  There’s a lot of stuff grief and anxiety want to take away from you.  They won’t take my Sweet P’s memory.  They won’t take all the fight and strength she gave me.  They’ll test it, but hey, day by day right?

No comments:

Post a Comment